Old December 17th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
merlin-7 merlin-7 is offline

Default looking for 2-meter yagi

This is the problem I want to avoid, I could build my own but I do not have
the time as in the next 6 months or so I will be moveing to NC and most of
my time is used up in painting etc. the home I am in now, getting ready to
sell it.
I need an antenna that can make contact with some of the repeartes here in
SC. (as band conditions permit)
I can, at times, get into some of the NC repeaters on my coliner vertical
at 50'. I was hopeing with a good beam at 70' (from NC) that I could
increase the odds...
Still looking for a good 2-m beam
Joe

I have been looking for a 2-meter yagi, around 10dbi gain or better,
that can handle 100 watts for around $100.00.
I was looking at the hy-gain vb-28fm but I do not know anything about
this
antenna?

Thoughts, suggestions ?

I have a VB-214 that was a major disappointment. The eyebolts that secure
the elements didn't last two years before they were all quite rusted.

When I tried to buy a replacement set, I couldn't get a firm price
(including shipping) from MFJ.

Here is how I fixed it (albeit with a lot of labour):
http://www.vk1od.net/VB214/index.htm . From that page:

The lessons learned:

* this Hy-gain antenna had a very short service life because of
corrosion of plated steel parts used in its construction;
* replacement parts were not readily available to an Australian
buyer;
* it took longer to manufacture the replacement parts to suit the
existing antenna than it would have taken to make an antenna of a better
design from scratch; and
* critically assess the maintenance issues (eg steel components) of
an antenna of this type before purchase.

I don't know if they have changed their construction materials, I won't
take the risk on another Hy-Gain.

Owen