Old December 18th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris Chuck Harris is offline

Default Battery for RCA WV98C

Barry wrote:
Any recommendations on a 1.5V battery for an RCA WV98C VTVM? I'm wondering
if one kind of battery is better than another in terms of leaking, etc. I
realize just about any 1.5V battery will work, but want one that will last
the longest and be the safest against damage should it be left in for too
long.

Thanks,

Barry - N4BUQ

The Alkaline cells are sealed the best, but I have had trouble with all of
the manufacturers for leaking. I generally think that Ray-O-Vac is the worst,
followed by Eveready, and DuraCell is the best for leakage.

The big problem with the cell in a VTVM is that if you leave it on ohms, it
will discharge the cell. Also, the usual VTVM circuit draws over 100ma
from the cell when you are in the RX1 position, and short the leads.

-Chuck