Old December 18th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
[email protected] mikeg@mikeg.net is offline

Default Airband Worse With External Antenna!

So, I've been setting up a Radio Shack 433 scanner in the basement to
pick-up the local airband frequencies. I bought a proper airband
antenna, and over the last week, I've had it temporarily mounted to the
wall in my basement, and reception has been okay. Today, I finally got
around to mounting it on the roof of the house, and now reception is
worse! I can barely pick up anything at all. Strange thing is, if I
connect my handheld aviation transceiver to the antenna, I can hear
great, even at full squelch. But with the 433 (or the 2055 that my wife
uses to listen to the cops) I can hardly make out anything. I'm puzzled
as to how an antenna-receiver combination that was working tolerably in
the basement can now not be working at all with the antenna mounted
properly! Any ideas???