Old December 18th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default A Portable Generator

In article ,
David Snyder Hale wrote:

I just came across an ad for these generators:

http://www.portable-gas-generator.com/

1kW, $163

Seems too cheap. I'm a big believer of "you get what you pay for" --
generally. Has anyone any experience with these? Thought? Comments?

David-

When you have a home power failure, you will need more than a 1 KW
generator. Your refrigerator may use less than that when running, but
its compressor's startup power requirement is probably well over 2 KW.
The little generator might be nice to have camping, but not for
emergency home power.

This little generator would be useful for running something like a chain
saw or some lights, but not electronic equipment. The power might
appear to be adequate to run a couple of rigs at Field Day, but the
regulation/power spikes could damage your equipment.

I saw a comparable small generator at a Big Lots store for $150. At
first I was quite tempted. I researched the Big Lots "Pro Source"
generators, and only came up with the fact they were sold at Big Lots.
Big Lots does not have any service parts, so where are you going to get
a new air filter when the time comes? (You may be lucky and find
another brand's filter that can be cut to size with a pair of scissors.)

Perhaps it would serve as a toy to play with and then discard.

Fred
K4DII