Old December 18th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] hjsjms@cs.com is offline

Default GE World Monitor P2900A

wrote:
I recently added a General Electric World Monitor P2900A shortwave
radio to my collection. Does anyone know anything about these radios?
Like, history, when they were produced and in what numbers,
performance, ect.

The World Monitor series was produced from the 1960's into the early
1970's in fair numbers. They will catch quite a few stations, however
you have to enjoy making 30 year old technology do the most it can (I
do). Such as an analog dial that is at best approximate in accuracy,
electronics that are no longer at their prime, etc. The sound from
those boxy radios is quite full and mellow. I used a second hand world
monitor as a shop radio for about 5 years and enjoyed the heck of of
it. Have fun!

I also would like some ideas on replacing the
missing left telescoping antenna; what would make a good replacement.

Basically anything that fits unless you can find a dead donor radio for
cheap at an estate sale or on Ebay. Radio Shack sells some general
purpose replacements, so you might be able to get one to work with some
filing.