Old December 19th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default drake r8 line longwave dx performance and the r75.

wrote:

john wrote:
just wondering i don't own a drake r8, r8a or r8b, but i am thinking of
purchasing an r8 or r8a. does anyone use this radio for dxing NDB's and
how does it perform on longwave. i'm also reading alot about the r75 as
a pure dx radio, especially with the mods, but it seems the drake never
gets the heads up vs the r75 as a pure dxer. it also seems that the
drake is the better BCB listening radio due to its better audio. i
would love to hear from someone who owns both. and has compared them in
this respect.

thx, john

Passport tested the R-75 with the Kiwa Mods;

review said the " Hi Fi" Kiwa mod is the one to get..

Review gives it 4 1/2 stars ( Cost $599 + $35 for Audio upgrade)

Japan radio NDR-545SE also gets 4 1/2 stars ( Cost $ 1,899.00 )

( interesting review below)

http://www.dobe.com/wts/funk/AOR7030vR8A.html

Much depends on how deep your pocket is;

- and what kind of antenna you can set up..

Looking back through my editions of Passport I see that The Drake R8 series
always seemed to get 5 stars, no mods needed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B