Old December 19th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wes Wes is offline

Default folded dipoles

Cecil Moore wrote:
Wes wrote:
A nearly perfect antenna. Completely flat SWR, totally noise free and
with equal gain in all directions! What more could you ask for?

:-) How about some functionality?

Let's take a look at a G5RV that I bought when I moved
to AZ and got back into HF operation. One side of the
G5RV dipole was DC floating at the antenna tuner output
while the other side was DC grounded. During AZ desert
windstorms, this new G5RV of mine arced at the coax
connector due to precipitation static, sometimes several
times per second.

Hmm. I've lived in AZ for over 60 years (almost 50 of them as a ham)
and am well familiar with dust storms and static build up on antennas
but I've never heard of it being called precipitation static.

Whatever you choose to call it, Roy's suggested rf choke would have
solved your problem.

Wes N7WS