Old December 19th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
SeppoP SeppoP is offline

Default Airband Worse With External Antenna!

Frank346 wrote:
wrote in message
s.com...
So, I've been setting up a Radio Shack 433 scanner in the basement to
pick-up the local airband frequencies. I bought a proper airband
antenna, and over the last week, I've had it temporarily mounted to the
wall in my basement, and reception has been okay. Today, I finally got
around to mounting it on the roof of the house, and now reception is
worse! I can barely pick up anything at all. Strange thing is, if I
connect my handheld aviation transceiver to the antenna, I can hear
great, even at full squelch. But with the 433 (or the 2055 that my wife
uses to listen to the cops) I can hardly make out anything. I'm puzzled
as to how an antenna-receiver combination that was working tolerably in
the basement can now not be working at all with the antenna mounted
properly! Any ideas???

Your aviation transceiver is better quality than the scanners which are
evidently being overloaded. An FM broadcast filter might help -
http://www.parelectronics.com/scanner.htm

I guess you've checked the antenna cable connectors?

--
Seppo P.
What's wrong with Theocracy? (a Finnish Taliban, Oct 1, 2005)