Old December 19th 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default drake r8 line longwave dx performance and the r75.

john wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article . com,
"john" wrote:

just wondering i don't own a drake r8, r8a or r8b, but i am thinking
of purchasing an r8 or r8a. does anyone use this radio for dxing
NDB's and how does it perform on longwave. i'm also reading alot
about the r75 as a pure dx radio, especially with the mods, but it
seems the drake never gets the heads up vs the r75 as a pure dxer. it
also seems that the drake is the better BCB listening radio due to
its better audio. i would love to hear from someone who owns both.
and has compared them in this respect.

The Drake R8 series are good all round radios. They have all the
essential features for quality broadcast listening, Dxing, utilities,
SSB ham reception.

The R75 makes an excellent door stop to the radio room.

dxace and telmon,

exactly my feeling - the drakes come with everything you need - i have
a palstar and many people say the palstar's deep audio and low noise
floor is similiar to the drakes - if thats the case i'm going with an
r8a - also do not like the idea of sending out my radio for mods right
after i purchase it new - seems it should have all the goodies already.
have you guy personally used the r75?

I had the opportunity to use a Kiwa modified R75 for about 5-6 hours sometime
back, side-to-side with the Drakes. I wasn't impressed. Neither was the new
owner who sold it on and purchased a Drake.

However, as I don't do any NDB DXing, John Plimmer may be quite correct about
the narrower filter issue re the R75 vs. R8x.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B