Old December 19th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] al.m@3web.net is offline

Default KAITO 1103 old or new versions?

I've just bought a slightly used 1103 (looks like unused), and can't
figure out which one I've got. The guys said it's a 2006 version, but
he didn't have anything with date of purchase - any receipt, or
anything. I've read a lot before choosing 1103 over Sony 7600 (costing
twice as much and not any better).

My 1103 does have "shuffling" when rotating the tuning jog-dial - light
"blip-blip" in quiet sections of MW and SW. It is barely audible, and
in noisy sections of SW I don't hear it at all. I've read that this
defect has been eliminated after March 2005.

Q1: Anybody has this "blip-blip" on his 2006 model? Is there anything
else that makes the latest 2006 models different from earlier ones?

Other than that, I'm satisfied. Functions are almost intuitive. Some
buttons are too close to each other, and I would like them to be larger
too. My apartment i is a RF nightmare - downtown Vancouver (Canada),
wooden building, but few hundred yards from railway depot and some
industries, and mountains all around. So I'm not surprised to hear so
little on SW. Just a few stations with a so-so quality here and there,
in 41, 49, and 31 m bands. MW is astonishing - not only I hear a bunch
of them in neigboring Seattle 200 miles away, but also as far as Texas
and San Francisco, - more than a thousand miles away. Wire antenna
doesn't change much, even when hanging out on the balcony.

Time and the last listened station are lost if you un-plug it or remove
the batteries - it returns to the deafault loud 40 level volume and to
FM band. But pre-set stations remain in memory.

Q2: I am confused about its "100-300000 khz continus coverage". Bands
on pseudo-analog dispaly are not overlapping. For ex. low AM ends at
520 KHZ. If I dial 519 and go down, it apperas to tune to 519, 518 etc.
But if I dial, say, 140, it displays 140, but tunes to 1040 AM (MW).
Anybody noticed this?