Old December 19th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dan Say Dan Say is offline

Default KAITO 1103 old or new versions?

In article . com,
wrote:
I've just bought a slightly used 1103 (looks like unused), and can't
figure out which one I've got. The guys said it's a 2006 version, but
he didn't have anything with date of purchase - any receipt, or
anything. I've read a lot before choosing 1103 over Sony 7600 (costing
twice as much and not any better).

Other than that, I'm satisfied. Functions are almost intuitive. Some
buttons are too close to each other, and I would like them to be larger
too. My apartment i is a RF nightmare - downtown Vancouver (Canada),
wooden building, but few hundred yards from railway depot and some
industries, and mountains all around. So I'm not surprised to hear so
little on SW. Just a few stations with a so-so quality here and there,
in 41, 49, and 31 m bands. MW is astonishing - not only I hear a bunch
of them in neigboring Seattle 200 miles away, but also as far as Texas
and San Francisco, - more than a thousand miles away. Wire antenna
doesn't change much, even when hanging out on the balcony.

------------------
Wind a longer wire 15 times around the whip and then up
and towards the south or west window.

Railway Depot? Waterfront or the False Creek Pacific National?
There is no depot downtown anymore. And how much RF do
frain produce? These aren't electrical trains.
And what is the RF you are talking about? Mostly damp street lights
and hundreds of cars starting up all the time.

And what were you expecting in sw reception? Do you dismiss
anything that is not in English?
Which day was that? There have been huge fadeouts because
of solar activity which preclude high-latitude sources.

See the odxa.on.ca pages and their World English Survey for
some hints.

Most stations aren't broadcasting 24 hours a day, you have to be
up, awake and at the radio at 2 or 7 in the morning for some
stations.
Try for RNZI, RNW, DW, RTI, RA,CRI, RCI, RJ, RKI, VoR, VoA backend
(i.e. the Ascension or Delano signals going the other direction)
Get an Azimuth map from the web and use that to think about
where stations might be. Eg
http://rivat.chez-alice.fr/software.htm
Get the WRTH and Passport (from library, or buy) and list all
the powerful (50 kw ) and where they are.

For MW, scan the lists of
http://members.shaw.ca/nwbroadcasters/recentnews.htm
and see what you have got so far.

The world is out there if you have the time and the ears.

Google the nearby Grayland DX expeditions that pick up
MW from Asia and other places. You might be amazed.