Old December 20th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO N9NEO is offline

Default KAITO 1103 old or new versions?

Tom wrote:
N9NEO wrote:
wrote:
I've just bought a slightly used 1103 (looks like unused), and can't
figure out which one I've got. The guys said it's a 2006 version, but
he didn't have anything with date of purchase - any receipt, or
anything. I've read a lot before choosing 1103 over Sony 7600 (costing
twice as much and not any better).

What do you mean which one? Are there two different designs? Maybe
you are implying/suggesting that the manufacturer went through some
type of a major engineering change somewhere during the development
cycle which produced a significantly different radio.

I have heard that there was something different with the antenna
circuits when plugging in an external antenna that changed along the
way. I think my radio acted differently from the schematic that was
posted to Degen group.

It would be nice to have a list of engineering changes that took place
along the way, but not likely with a radio made in China.

73
NEO

The most comprehensive description of the KA1103/DE1103 appears to be
on the Russian Radioscanner forum. There is a compilation of material
on modifications by someone by the name of IRIS, a crude, computer
translation of which is available on the main English language forum at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/de1103/ in the Files area. It reports a
difference in the antenna input and one or two internal changes that
are obvious when opened up. However, this was a revision in effect
after October, 2004. Whether there has been any subsequent revision has
not been reported or, at least, is unknown to me.

The antenna input change may be detected by an external test. Tune to a
weak VHF-FM signal. insert a bare 3.5mm plug into the antenna jack. If
the signal decreases, you have a post Oct/2004 model, otherwise an
original one. The newer one disconnects the telescoping antenna when an
external antenna is plugged in; the older model left the telescoping
antenna always connected.

Tom

Yes, the Russians - iris have done a very nice job of supplying info
for radio.
thanks
NEO