Old December 21st 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default folded dipoles

Jim Kelley wrote:
I simply meant that a folded dipole
is just as likely to produce precipitation static noise as a dipole
antenna.

Probably not true for a bare-wire dipole Vs a ladder-line folded
dipole. Insulation is one well accepted method of reducing
precipitation static on airplane antennas. In any case, the two
wires in the folded dipole make it different from the single wire
in the dipole.

I'm away from my computer for the moment but consider your capacitor
suggestion. Let's say we have a perfect ground plane and are testing
a dipole Vs a folded dipole. They are in inverted-V configurations so
we can discharge a capacitor between the end of the antenna and
ground. For the dipole, there is only one path to ground through the
receiver. For the folded dipole, there are two paths to ground, one
through the receiver and one to ground. Why won't the charge
applied to the folded dipole divide and take both paths?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com