Old December 21st 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JOHN D JOHN D is offline

Default No Code Required Issue

"Al" wrote in message
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be a ham. I could never learn the
code. It seems I have a very difficult time memorizing. I didn't know my
multipication table until 8th grade. But somehow I managed to get a
master's degree in EE and worked as a consultant on a satellite at MIT.
Yes, it's still working after 10 years.

Now that all the bands will be available to me, I can finally become a
ham.

Oh, and to those who think the waves will be flooded with idiots. Don't
worry. After all this never happened to the tech band as far as I know.

Al

I know exactly how you feel. I was interested in ham radio since my early
teens. I tried learning the code severel times over the years. There are
always those who will say you didn't try hard enough, or you used the wrong
method, or you didn't care, or you wern't dedicated enough. There is more to
life than studying CW. I'm not a EE but I made a living as a electronic tech
for 36 years. In retirement I finally learned enough code to barely pass the
test. I went to the testing session prepared to pass the tech test. I got a
general class licence from that session. 5 more correct answers and I would
have been a extra. Three weeks later I passed the extra test. The elmer who
introduced me to amateur radio 40 years ago is probable long dead. It would
be nice to tell him I finally made it. I still don't know the multipication
tables. The end of CW testing is long overdue. You will be an asset to
amateur radio.
John