Old December 22nd 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] hot-ham-and-cheese@hotmail.com is offline

Default No More Element 1

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Jim Hampton wrote:
"Dee Flint" wrote in message

You could be right. It's simply my opinion that 3) represents the

vast
majority of Novice licensees. I've met no Novice operators on the

bands
and
our club roster has no Novice licensees.

Dee, N8UZE

Hello Dee,

I swear I am going to apply for WN2CJV, my first license. I still have

the
license.

Will that make you a Novice?

Then set the keyer to 45 words per minute and have some fun

There are no speed limits for Novices, but there are for higher class
hams who have IDers on repeaters.

Yes, there are limits on the speeds of *IDs* on a repeater. There are no
limits should someone decide to use F2 (or whatever one wishes to call it
these days) on a repeater LOL. You may be aware of the meteor burst cw
stuff going on at a few *hundred* words per minute, but I'm talking manual
reception of CW.

The Jan07 issue of QST featured software allowing an OP to manually
copy Morse Code beyond the present highs of 147WPM. It goes up to
200WPM.

I can't claim to run 50 words per minute anymore, but I don't have much
trouble at 35. Besides, the callsign would not make me a novice. The
novice class is closed to new applicants. I can apply, however, for a
vanity sign as a former call sign holder

I ditched my novice call as soon as I could. At 5WPM and putting out a
3x call, it took about 3 weeks to send CQ.

Believe me, I hit one guy big time who was screaming that only cw operators
are the good guys. I hit him with 40 plus words per minute F-2 on the
WB2KAO repeater in Rochester, NY (with permission from the repeater owner
who just happened to be in the group LOL)

)

Did he copy?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - I run from 5 words per minute to a bit over 7 .... quite a bit )

Fair enough.