Old December 23rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

Default Simple FM Antenna, C. Crane, Radio Your Way (Pogo) and RadioShark (RS)

W. Watson wrote:

I had an occasion to talk with C. Crane today, and got onto the topic of
an FM Antenna for small digital radios. I have the two mentioned in the
Subject line. The agent menioned using just a sinple 5' wire for this
purpose.

I've not had good luck getting FM reception with RS, and have tried a
simple dipole without much luck. I live in the Sierra Foothills at
2700', and the trouble is with stations in the Sacramento area (60 mi)
and Chico (75 mi). It occurred to me the simple 5' single wire antenna
provided with Pogo has been very effective in improving FM reception, so
I put it on RS. Practially no difference with or without it. What's up
with that?

Note that RS looks like shark fin, and has a built in FM and AM antenna,
and a jack to plug in an external FM antenna. The RS is plugged into a
USB port and it is very much like Tivo but for radio.

A simple way of stating what I'm after is why does a simple 5' wire work
better on one FM radio than another, when both radios are used from the same
spot? In fact, why does a simple 5' wire work almost as well as a folded dipole?

"It is better to be “approximately right” rather than
“exactly wrong." -- John Tukey, Statistican
--
Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews