Old December 23rd 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO N9NEO is offline

Default Help! I can't get many shortwave stations!

Take the radio to a small open field at night and try it out. If ytou
got a big backyard that is good too. I can walk away from the house
and get many stations. Maybe you got too much noise around and it is
hard to pick out stations. You can try different times too. I like
early morning just before the sun comes up too.

regards,
NEO

dead of night wrote:
Hi. I own a new, Sony icf7600GR, delivered yesterday. I am brand new
to shortwave radio. I have printed out the Prime Time Shortwave
listings of English speaking shortwave broadcasts to America. After
noting the difference between the UTC time and my time, I tried finding
broadcasts.

Out of approximately 12, I could only get about 3. Is this par for
the course? I had the antenna fully extended near my window. I tried
the reel antenna but it did not make much of a difference. Can you
offer any tips and advice? I'd prefer not to buy an expensive,
optional antenna right now, I want to make do with the whip and reel.