Old December 23rd 06, 09:25 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave
------------ ------------ is offline

Default The fastest way to destroy ham radio is to eliminate the CW requirement.

The pro-code/no-code debates remind me of the Am/SSB debates on the ham
bands back in the 70's.

DamnIfIKnow wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
When code is gone your going to see an in rush of lazy people that don't
want to be good or skilled at anything, and their frustration over their
laziness will be taken out on other hams on the bands. This will turn ham
radio into CB.

SC

HAM isn't as popular as it used to be. All of the old HAMS have either
died off or are no longer on the air for various reasons. When a
service is threatened due to lack of interest, something must be done to
encourage people into the hobby. The FCC decided to eliminate one of
the hardest parts of obtaining a ticket in an effort to encourage people
to obtain a license and hopefully keep HAM radio alive and well. Why is
it I do not hear much code on the bands anymore? It used to be that
every ship at sea would communicate via key. Not today. Not in the age
of Satellites. So, why would you feel the code should still remain an
active part of being a HAM? Do YOU still use code? If so, for what?

Yeah, keep HAM back into the old days and don't evolve with technology.
That's the way to do it. It was better in the old days when you had to
bust your ass to learn a code that you would probably never use or even
listen to.

Time to move forward. With the cost of equipment far more expensive
than what CB used to be in the 70's, I seriously doubt HAM will turn
into what CB has become. Also, you fail to mention the fact that the
FCC DOES monitor and enforce HAM radio unlike CB that's become a zoo.

Anyone can go to the FCC enforcement website and read the many reports
of hefty fines imposed on commercial radio and HAM alike.

And before HAM turns into a CB zoo, it would have evolved a lot further
than it is today and people still wouldn't be able to buy a HAM toy to
use like CB. Enforcement will become a HAM wide effort, whereas,
established HAMs will have to keep an eye on new operators to ensure
they don't cross the line and if they do, turn them in to the FCC for
action. Most HAMS I know can work together to locate the fixed
transmission of another HAM.

So, relax. You will probably be gone to the big HAM shack in the sky
before HAM goes the way of CB.