Old December 24th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
ken scharf ken scharf is offline

Default Older ARRL Handbooks

julian814 wrote:
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
julian814 wrote:
All right, I'm hoping someone here can clue me into finding the one(s)
I want. What I need is a handbook that has schematics for tube
equipment circa the 1960's. I have a boxful of tubes from television
sets from that era, and I was hoping I could put together a receiver
from some of them. I do have the first volume of Impoverished Radio
Experimenter, which talks about using "newer" tubes in older
schematics, but the scant few Lindsay talks about aren't among the
tubes in my box.

How complex of a receiver are you looking to build?

Nothing too complex, two tubes or so. What I want to build is something
that looks like it's from a 1950's Cold War era post apocalyptic story.
I definitely want to use tubes, and I have some headphones from that
era as well. The receiver has to be able to drive the headphones. They
are NOT crystal headphones.

There are a PILE of simple tube circuits on
http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/index.html .

Most of them use Japanese tubes (the site is in Japan, after allg) but
I would suggest in many cases you can figure out what U.S. tubes are
similar.

Fascinating, but I didn't see anything close to what I'm looking for.
Thanks anyway.

Ralph

I don't recall the url but I remember a 2-3 tube receiver from the 40's
that might be what you want. It was a simple superhet with a
regenerative detector. Used a 6k8 as the converter and a 6c8g as the
detector / audio. It drove a pair of magnetic phones. The set used two
plugin coils, one for the antenna circuit and one for the oscillator.
Each antenna coil served double duty as the oscillator coil on the next
higher band (moved the antenna coil from the antenna coil socket to the
oscillator coil socket and put a new coil in the antenna coil socket to
change bands). There is a variation that added a 6sj7 as the detector
and the other half of the 6c8 became a bfo.

This first appeared in Feb 1941 QST. The details are on the web
someplace, google for it.