Old December 23rd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3... ve3... is offline

Default Both Sensitive and Selective Radio Receiver for FM Broadcast Band.

J&D Schnoor wrote:
Obviously this is off-topic because what I am looking for is not necassarily
a shortwave radio, but it may be. I am looking for an inexpensive AM/FM
broadcast band radio that is both sensitive and selective on the FM
broadcast band. My application is for using it in a barn. I am
transmitting from the house on a Panaxis ACC100S very low power on 88.1 mHz.
The transmitter and receiver will be about 150 feet apart. I am hear it
with a vehicle radio parked next to the barn. but most of my home radios
cannot hear it even with an external antenna because they hear images,
intermodulation, etc. Right now I am using an orininal C Crane Radio and it
hears it fine, but I want to use that elsewhere eventually. I am giving
some thought to finding a used GE Superadio III, but I thought I would check
hear to see if there are any other suggestions for this application. I
would like to spend under $50, if possible. Also, if there is a source for
old component receivers that would work well please advise. Some have
suggested that the Kaito KA1103 is both sensitive and selective on FM
broadcast. Also, a provision for an external antenna would be a plus.

If you can access the antenna wire you could extend the range of the
transmitter by clipping on a 48" length of wire. This might increase
the range enough that you would hear the signal on one of your existing
radios. I use this method on several of my fm transmitters and that's
all you need to do. I would see if you can borrow a GE Superradio on
trial. It has a big speaker and has enough power to fill a barn.