Old December 24th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
ken scharf ken scharf is offline

Default Older ARRL Handbooks

ken scharf wrote:
julian814 wrote:
Michael Black wrote:
ken scharf ) writes:
I don't recall the url but I remember a 2-3 tube receiver from the 40's
that might be what you want. It was a simple superhet with a
regenerative detector. Used a 6k8 as the converter and a 6c8g as the
detector / audio.
They were called "supergainers" and apparently Frank Jones, of later
VHF fame, was a big proponent of them in the thirties.

The earlier Radio Handbook on that webpage someone posted about would
have them, the 1936 version or whatever. I didn't suggest downloading
that one since I had the impression the tubes available to the original
poster were miniature, and the book predates those.

Thanks, Mike, Ken. I'll have to take a look. I did manage to download
some of the files on designing circuits with tubes, and with the online
tube manuals I might be able to figure out something on my own. Still,
if anyone can think of where I can find something already made up that
I can use, I'd appreciate it.

Ralph

HERE'S the link http://www.io.com/~nielw/3tubrcvr/3tubrcvr.htm

Oh, nearly forgot....
With a little head scratching, you can replace the 6K8 with a 6u8, 6ea8,
6x8 (etc) triode/pentode. Use the pentode as the mixer and the triode
as the oscillator. In many cases the inter-electrode capacitance inside
the tube will provide enough coupling from the oscillator to the mixer,
but you might need to use a gimick capacitor (twisted wires) from the
pentode grid to the oscillator plate. Other tricks are to connect the
pentode screen to the oscillator plate, or in the case of the 6x8, the
pentode grid 3 to the oscillator grid.

The 6c8 may be replaced by ANY dual triode (such as 12au7, 12at7, 12ax7,
6sn7,6sl7, etc....)