Old December 25th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
RST Engineering RST Engineering is offline

Default The "Code Wars"...It's Done...Now Where?

Hans, I respectfully disagree. What we PERCEIVE to be the focus of ham
radio will shift ... calling CQ for hours on end while I could get into a
chat room in seconds and achieve the same result will go away. The HF bands
will slowly dwindle as waiting for the sunspot cycle to rev up fast loses
its charm when I can pick up a cellphone and have digital clear
communications any time of the day or night.

So we refocus on what DOES fire kids' rockets. Making robots and running
them with digitally coded RF. Setting up the house so you can turn on
lights and appliances with DTMF. Talking to astronauts in space. Satellite
communications.

Perhaps the brain trust in Newington is woefully late in calling a summit
meeting of the brethren and sistren to sort this all out. Perhaps Wayne
Greene was right after all, that the ARRL has long since outlived its
usefulness, and the structure set up by Maxim is in the final stages of
crumbling away. Perhaps lots of things.

But amateur radio (and perhaps we need a new term for THAT, too) will live
on, at least in the generation that I am teaching, but only with a totally
new focus and dedication.

Jim

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

I believe that the last generation of hams in the USA has already been
born, and it has nothing to do with how fast they can send beeps.

Radio is no longer magic to young people, and magic is what made it worth
the effort.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Past Grand Master Magician