Old December 25th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
labtech1 labtech1 is offline

Default Will covering an antenna with tape negate its effects?

Gald we got the 'simple answer'

"Carter-k8vt" wrote in message
news
dead of night wrote:
Hi. In order to get my antenna to stay up outside, I have used heavy
duty scotch tape to tape it high against the house.

First of all, Scotch (tm) tape (even "heavy duty") is probably not the
appropriate choice. Without more details of your circumstances, I don't
think it will mechanically last in the wind/weather very long. If you
need tape to hold up your antenna, it's time to think about some type of
re-design.

Will the antenna lose some of its effectiveness if parts of it are
covered with this tape?

The simple answer is "no". Tape on an antenna is no different than using
insulated antenna wire, which works just fine.

However, if you are taping it against a house (metal siding) or a tree,
the OBJECT the antenna is taped to could be lossy (but not the tape per
se). Again, time to seriously consider a re-design.

Good luck!