Old December 26th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jay in the Mojave Jay in the Mojave is offline

Default Scientists Predict Big Solar Cycle

Hello Scott:

Yeah a Screwdriver Antenna will work. I haven't used one but a good
friend has one. I can't remember the manufactures name or model. But its
a larger one made and designed for the lower bands, like 40 and 80
meters. He has a ball with this antenna. Has a switch that adjusts the
antennas coil while watching the SWR on a meter.

You will have to have a significant mounting bracket tho, we used a
piece of 6061-T6 Aluminum Plate, 3/8" thick by approx 4 x 12 inches, and
bolted it to the body, and reinforced the body.

He uses a Icom 706 and talks all over with it in his Jeep. We where
Quail hunting and he talked many stations on 20 and 40 meters. I am not
sure how it will work on 10 or 11 meters. But if the sun spot cycle will
be as strong as the Scientists say it will be, then I am sure it will work.

Jay in the Mojave

Scott in Baltimore wrote:

I wonder how a screwdriver antenna would work on 27 MHz? I'm set to take
my general test on 01-07-07.
I'll need a 706 or an Alinco DX-70.