Old December 27th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kenneth Grimm Kenneth Grimm is offline

Default folded dipoles

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:10:00 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

chuck wrote:
... understanding of the possibility of
non-coronal precipitation static remains elusive.

Please note that human understanding is not
necessary for something to exist and denying
its existence because of a lack of understanding
doesn't make it go away. It is what it is.

Amen, Cecil!

Anyone who has lived in central Texas and is an active ham has
experienced all sorts of extraordinary noises....corona discharges,
precipitation static, and others.... which can be experienced on a
clear day, cloudy day, rainy day, dusty day....though I would hasten
to add that the most dramatic noise performances occurred with an
approaching weather front of some kind and *are* probably corona
discharges. Other noises that I experienced while trying to work DX
were not so easily identifiable as corona.

I haven't experienced the same noises here in Virginia. Here, I get
little in the way of warning, other than normal crashes of static,
before hearing a loud *bang* of thunder indicating that I should
disconnect aerials and vacate the shack!.

One other empirical data point...all of the above mentioned noises
were *dramatically* reduced when switching from plumbers-delight, yagi
antennas to closed loop, cubical quads. Always. Despite the fact
that many have insisted that quads aren't "quieter" than yagis, it's
my story and I'm sticking to it. I use yagis now. If I lived in
Texas, I would probably be using quads again.

73,

Ken K4XL

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at
http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr