Old December 27th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," accordingto CDC

Dave Heil wrote:

The "greatness" you "hint" of simply does not exist anymore, amateur
radios' day has come and gone, I think it needs a revival, and that may
not even be possible, and if so, we need to face up to that too and dump
amateur radio. The expense and trouble is simply not worth it to keep
it alive for such a few to benefit from. We need thousands of new
licenses, tens-of-thousands really.

To the old timers (and yes, I am 54, I just refuse to act 54!, dern it!)
change is a frightening thing, let's face it, only babies like a change
and they cry then!

The number of amateur tickets reflect that the "service" (more like
hobby) is near death. The internet is a much better form of
communication and satellites are a much better form of signal
transmission, and much more dependable.

I don't like communication with "old fart hams" who key down for 15
minutes telling me all about themselves, their illness(s), their
likes/dislikes and how things used to be in the early 1900's; and, mind
you, I AM 54 YEARS OLD!, just imagine how all this sounds to preteens,
teens and 20-50 year old "newbies" looking for a hobby!

It is time to hand the reins to a much younger generation of hams who
must now mold it into something usable and desirable to them, what has
gone before, what was in vogue before, what was popular before, what
seemed important before--is no more ...

What has existed before will be no more ...

But, that is only one mans' opinion, time will tell now.

Regards,
JS