Old December 28th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KH6HZ KH6HZ is offline

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America,"

wrote in message

entirely related

As much as you wish you could will your skewed perception of reality into
existance for others, the fact of the matter is you're simply wrong.

Amateur radio appeals to a very narrow segment of society.

These days, ragchewing on a 2m repeater or 20m SSB or CW frequency -- which
is by far what the vast majority of people who are licensed hams actually
engage in -- simply isn't appealing to society these days.

When I was a kid, it was a big deal to pick up the phone and call someone in
California. It was "cool" if I could do it on the radio. Now... no big deal,
the call is even 'free' on my cell phone. Heck, I do not even have a home
phone any longer -- only a cell phone.

The "magic" of what was once amateur radio has long since left the hobby.
And, it had nothing to do with CW, in as much as you'd like to hate the
mode, hate the people who use it, and blame it for all the world's ills.