Old December 27th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] nsarejectnsareject@yahoo.com is offline

Default GRUNDIG S350DL QUESTION

JRS wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:29:51 -0800, John Smith I
wrote:

JRS wrote:
John,

Thanks for the link. I see the tuning issue is not unique to mine.
The only thing I'm wondering is if these radios are wrapped in a
plastic bag or sleeve before being boxed up. The one I have was not
which makes me think someone else owned it and returned it to Radio
Shack.

John

You know, I bought a few weeks back when I got stuck out of town. I
tore apart "the closet" and found the packaging, no plastic bag for the
radio in the box--but I could have tossed that so, that in no reliable
"proof"--sorry I cannot help you more.

While not as sensitive as my commercial receivers, it ain't that bad for
the price--in my humble opinion ... but then, I have gotten used to
stuff made in china

Regards,
JS

I want to use it mainly for night time AM listening. For that task,
the receiver works quite well (except for that touching tuning dial).
I do like the radio, but I have a problem with Radio Shack selling
customer returns as new merchandise. Thanks again for your help and
information.

John

After my miserable experience with the S350, I went out and bought some
inexpensive Radio Shack digital PLL radios. Well, I compared the
digital radios and my digital car radio, with the much over-hyped S350,
and they all picked up the same stations. Then, I ran across the
excellent $10 Sony ICF-S10MK2 hand-held analog-tuned radio, and found
that it gets the same stations, as the rest of the above mentioned
radios. Unlike the S350, the tuner is very tight and doesn't seem to
drift (partly because no tuning backlash). After $200 bucks, and a
year later, my digital radios are sitting on the shelf, the
now-returned S350 is probably still sitting on the shelf at RS, and my
Sony sits in my pocket, ready to go. Sigh...

http://www.radiointel.com/review-sonys10mk2.htm