Old December 28th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," according to CDC

"KH6HZ" wrote in
:

"John Smith I" wrote:

Like I say, because of past policy and the "damn the bands but save
CW!" crowd, it may be too late to save amateur radio ...

Completely unrelated.

Even if people had gotten licensed decades ago, amateur radio as a
hobby competes with many other things, some of which are much more
technical and rewarding.

What kinda Ham radio do you do Michael? Buy a rig, and pay someone
to install it and put up your tower? Your statement is unusual to say
the least. What hobbies are more technical?

I'm using my Christmas vacation to learn Visual Studio, so that I
can program Ham apps. I build as much of my own equipment as possible,
and find it all intensely rewarding.

Judging from your other posts, I'd guess that you are simply tired
of Amateur radio, and for some reason, you find it interesting to stir
up the ants nest from time to time.

Are you going to allow your license to expire so that the hobby
won't be annoying you any more?

However, one thing is for REAL sure, hams will continue dieing off
like flies--whether we can attract newbies to swell past numbers is
the question of the hour.

It isn't going to happen. Amateur Radio is a hobby of the past, the
same way horseshoes are a hobby of the past.

What interesting and rewarding hobby have you substituted for
Amateur radio?

One bright light in all this, some of my students will now go for
their license. All colleges now need a program to make amateur radio
known to their students, high schools are not too young to start with

None of my students express an interest in ham radio. The code
requirement wasn't a significant barrier to entry for them anyway,
since the tech license would yield all the privileges they require for
working in the GHZ+ bands, where most of their interests (consumer
electronics) lay.

I would expect that. Most IT people, computer support folks, and
programmers (especially) I work with are quite simply not technically
inclined at all.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -