Old December 29th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KH6HZ KH6HZ is offline

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," according to CDC

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

What kinda Ham radio do you do Michael?

I'm principally a firmware engineer. My technical work in the hobby consists
of writing, analyzing, and modifying firmware for standalone and linked
repeater networks. I operate 20m SSB/CW, 40/80m CW, and 2m/440 FM.

I'm using my Christmas vacation to learn Visual Studio, so that I
can program Ham apps. I build as much of my own equipment as possible,
and find it all intensely rewarding.

Skip VB.NET and C++, learn C#. Lots of good books on the .NET Framework out
there too. Sams, Sybex, Addison Wesley.

Judging from your other posts, I'd guess that you are simply tired
of Amateur radio, and for some reason, you find it interesting to stir
up the ants nest from time to time.

That's an odd observation, considering I've made perhaps a half-dozen
postings to this newsgroup in the past year, almost all of which deal with
my beliefs as to what will happen to raw licensing numbers as a result of
the Element 1a elimination. Do you somehow feel threatened by my stated
beliefs that the change will have little if any statistical effect on
licensing numbers?

Are you going to allow your license to expire so that the hobby
won't be annoying you any more?

Odd, I do not recall ever stating ham radio annoyed me. Perhaps you have my
postings confused with someone else.

What interesting and rewarding hobby have you substituted for
Amateur radio?

Almost all of my "hobbies" these day revolve around activities and "hobbies"
where I can spend time with my two youngest children.

I would expect that. Most IT people, computer support folks, and
programmers (especially) I work with are quite simply not technically
inclined at all.

You can blame Bill Gates for that.