Old March 8th 04, 06:39 PM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:14:24 GMT, Ken wrote:

I bought one of these last year and it worked OK for RF measurement.

I am now for the first time trying to use it to measure the [digital]
frequency at a chip pin. I set it for CMOS/TTL range. It reads 4.9
MHz open circuit and shorted out. Sometimes it reads zero. Nothing
changes when I test the chip pin. I get the same result using an
oscilloscope probe and solid copper leads.

There is supposed to be a 5KHz signal at the pin. I can hear a tone
roughly of that frequency (very high) when I put that pin on the
input of an amplified speaker.

Is my meter fried? Or am I doing something wrong?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

I have an mfj frequency counter -- inexpensive.

It works okay on strong signals; about 10 watts & up. Doesn't do worth
a darn on QRP signals, 5 watts or less. I'm guessing your chip doesn't
put out enough power for the frequency to be detected. You may need a
more sensitive lab quality detector.

Bob
k5qwg