Old December 30th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Gary KW4Z Gary  KW4Z is offline

Default Ham Radio Operators & CB'ers

Many times these are on in the same. It's not a secret that some Amateur
Radio operators (HAMs) have been critical of CB'ers, in the past, and most
times unjustifiably. Sometimes correctly however a great many Ham Operators
not only came from CB but are currently still operating CB'ers.

Here though is the point of my post. With the FCC dropping the Morse Code
requirement many that would have never before thought about becoming a HAM
might give it a thought. Being a Ham, and CB'er (former KBD5746, yeah I
actually had a CB License and still remember it) I know that HAM radio
thrives because of the influx of new blood. That new blood is usually from
the CB ranks. I can't say that you'll find better operators, you will in
places and you won't on some bands, but it does open up additional avenues
to experiment with areas of communications and the type equipment you would
use (computers, satellite, FM etc) and also provides a lot more legal band
space from which to work skip, or other stations all over the world. For
truck drivers it is analogous to getting XM or Sirus Radio verses local
radio channels. FM Repeaters can keep you in contact for Hundreds of miles
apart and if you enjoy working challenging stations on low power then it is
there also. Are there still "old Hams" that snarl at the thought of a CB
operator? Sure there are just as there are CB operators that criticize and
malign Ham Radio Operators. Many CB operators have Ham equipment that they
are using now (Yaesu FT101s' and Kenwood TS520s or better). Ham Equipment
is also affordable to the entry level operators that don't have a fortune to
invest. It's not uncommon to find Yaesu's and Kenwood's going from $200 -
$350.00 on eBay these days). Most Ham's make their own antenna out of
copper wire and spend a minimal getting on the air.

Without the code now the only barrier to obtaining that Ham License is
taking a test of Electrical Theory (most interesting to know anyway),
Operating Procedures, and Rules and Regulations. I for one think that the
more activity we can keep going the better it is for all of us therefore the
post I made today.