Old December 30th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Bill Sohl Bill Sohl is offline

Default So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool?

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
ups.com:

I think after the dust settles the big issue will be grandfathering
Novices
and Advanceds to the next class up, i.e. tidying up the licence scheme.
and
of course I still want more phone on 40, 20 and 15, but it will be a
while
before the FCC will get back to these things. Maybe petitions on these
things would be dismissed if they were filed right now, but later on they
might succeed.

As adamant as the FCC has been on this, it's very doubtful that
grandfathering will ever happen. They've made it plain that they consider
it reasonable for people to pass the written tests for the upgrades. In
addition, at the rate the Novice licenses are decreasing they will be all
but gone in less than 10 years anyway.

I tend to agree with that prediction since Novice already had code credit
and the only thing between the Novice and Tech has been the written
test itself. If a Novice hasn't upgraded in the last 5 or 10 years,
odds are they have dropped from the ham radio ranks already.

(SNIP)
I do wonder why this took 3 1/2 years. Maybe the large number of
petitions
(18) and comments (zillions) had something to do with it. Maybe even
Riley
had something to do with delaying it? Does he have that much influence?

73 de N3KIP

I'm firmly convinced that the number of petitions was a major hang-up on
processing this. Each petition had a slightly different spin and each had
a significant number of comments. The FCC staff had to digest all this
and come to an agreement on just what approach would be taken.
Dee, N8UZE

I suspect it is just "low priority" within the FCC's scope of
authority.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all,

My wish for the New Year is that this forum once again become a
place for rational thought and discussion. The personal attacks
and other slimeball commentary by those who know who they are
should end. It is tragic that some people can't abide by simply
repecting the medium and using it in a positive manner.

OK, soapbox mode off :-)

Bill K2UNK