Old December 31st 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Main Home Radio for Casual Listener

On Dec 30, 11:37 am, "tom k in L.A." wrote:
I'm a casual listener-- mainly english international news such as China
Radio International, etc., but i'm just getting started and dig the
hobby. i am aware all this stuff is on the web but i like tuning it in
on the radio-- there is just no substitute for that imo.

Which of the following would you recommend:

- eton e1
Eton E1XM AM/FM Shortwave XM-Ready Radio
http://www.amazon.com/Eton-E1XM-Shor...dp/B0009IIE56/

- sony 7600gr
Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave World Band Receiver
with Single Side Band Reception
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-SW760.../dp/B00006IS4X

- sony icf-sw07
Sony ICF-SW07 AM/FM Shortwave World Band Receiver with 100 Memory
Presets
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-SW07-.../dp/B00006IS4V

i know there are big price differences -- i'm wondering if the e1 is
worth the extra money for the type of listening i do. sw07 is very
gizmo-ish. 7600gr gets nothing but praise.

what do you think? thanks.

Tom K-in-LA,

My 'choice' would be the Eton E1 simply because it is the
better Radio and has the Larger Speaker for a Fuller More
Natural Sound all around the room for Hours of Radio
Listening and Enjoyment.

Not on your list but also worth considering is the Grundig
Satellit 800 Radio. Again it is a better Main Home Radio
for the Casual Listener.

Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Shortwave Radio
http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Satell...dp/B00006I5AF/

If I were looking for a Kitchen Radio or Home Office Radio
it would be the Grundig Satellit 800 Receiver.

If - I were looking for a Bedside Radio - It would be the
Eton E1 Receiver.

The Sony ICF-SW07 might make a nice Desk-Top Radio
but I think that it would wear-on-the-ears as the listening
hours increased.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is a good Radio but for use as
a Main Home Radio for the Casual Listener : It would need
a Pair of Powered Speakers to give it that room filling sound
and make it an Hour-on-Hour Listening Radio.

OBTW - I do have three Grundig Satellit 800 Radios
up here in Twain Harte, CA :
* One in the Kitchen - Beautiful Music on KMPH 840 kHz Modesto, CA
* One in the Home Office - News on KCBS 740 kHz SF BayArea, CA
* One Bedside - Classical Music on KXSR 91.7 MHz Groveland CA
and any thing else that is 'out-there' On-the-Air Late-at-Night !
Plus another one in the Kitchen down in Oakland, CA.

The Grundig Satellit 800s are each Wonderful Radios to
Listen to as a Main Home Radio for the Casual Radio
Listener in any room.

radios - it's all about listening and enjoyment ~ RHF