Old December 31st 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Change in ARS numbers Pool - Guesses added 12/30/06 - edited.

"John Smith I" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:

You are wrong. There were several code-tested hams who predicted huge
growth in amateur radio due to eliminating the requirement. As I said
before, it behooves us to watch the numbers and see if it works. To
ignore it is to attempt to shape the future with insufficient data.

You are more than entitled to your opinion.

Why are you so convinced that there are significant numbers of such
people? Very few people that I know fall into this category. As stated
before, our club members and others I know are very busy spreading the
word on the change regardless of whether they agree with it.

Because I do chat with the angry truckers and cb'ers who bypassed ham
radio because of CW--try to get out more. You seem to have developed a
case of "Ham Vision", closely related to Tunnel Vision, yanno?

Again they aren't here. Perhaps they are local to your area. The
propagation being what it is at the bottom of the sunspot cycle, the CB band
is mostly local communications at the moment.

Why do you seem convinced that there are significant numbers of oldsters
trying to "guard the gates"? It is certainly inconsistent with my
experience. All I've seen are a limited handful. They've had no success
since there are so many other good oldsters out there helping out.

Because I share the newsgroups with these ancient relics? Because their
attitudes drip with "I am special?" And, "Trailer Trash CB'ers?" Gee
Dee, I thought you much brighter than that, could be the people you are
hanging about with, like I said, "Try to get out more!"

Have you noticed though that there are only a handful of people in the
newsgroups, especially in this one? They repeate the same things over and
over. And yes I repeat mine too. The limited number of people that hang
out here is hardly a representative example.

And if you will notice I never subscribed to the arguments of most of those
who post here. I've never believed it code testing was supposed to be any
kind of limiter, lid filter, or rite of passage. I also notice that you cut
those sections of my posts referring to the fact that I believe those
arguments to be invalid and harmful to amateur radio just as I believe the
argument that many people are unable to learn code is invalid and harmful.

In additon, I have never made any derogatory comments about people on the
Citizen's Band. You must be confusing me with someone else. Like any other
group, there are good people and bad people.

Why are you being derogatory towards those who operate Citizen's Band? I
know many nice people who operate CB. My neighbor for one. So far he
has evinced no interest in ham radio even though we've demonstrated
amateur radio to him. He's quite happy with his circle of friends on CB
and has no interest in going further. Since he's shown no interest, we
never got around to discussing the requirements.

You are about to meet some of those "nice angry CB'ers." grin

Regards,
JS

Like I said, there is a wide range of people in CB and I've never referred
to them by any of the multitude of derogatory names that people have come up
with.

Dee, N8UZE