Old December 31st 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
robert casey robert casey is offline

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," accordingto CDC

Stefan Wolfe wrote:

Len, you used to argue that ham radio would benefit if only the FCC would
let the brilliant RF scientists, engineers and physicists, who only lacked
the ability or desire to learn Morse code, to enter the service.

Well, I personally know such an "RF scientist" who, when I emailed him
about element 1 going away, expressed interest in getting a ham license.
About 10 years ago he ran a test lab that tested HDTV broadcast
methods. Gave him a web site of practice tests, so he'd know ham radio
specific regulations (what bands, power limits and such that cannot be
derived from RF theory) and know what to expect when he does take the
tests. But he's not a young guy.

The ARRL ought to place a few advertisements in the various RF trade
journals, to get the word out.