Old December 31st 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default Change in ARS numbers Pool - Guesses added 12/30/06 - edited.

Len:
Everyone doing the guessing is working with OLD paradigms.
There's NEVER been a time when there was NO code test, at
least since 1934. Nobody's been exposed to that kind of
environment/situation...all they've got is the old times
when there was ALWAYS a code test.

Well, since that paragraph is totally composed of logic--hope you don't
expect an argument from me! YEP, pretty much like that alright ...

That's entirely possible but I'd say Unlikely with a
capital U. Just too many old farts ready to jump in
with the standard "they 'know' what is good for ham
radio!" AS IF. :-) [if they 'already knew' why
didn't they DO something about it?]

Again, hope you don't expect an argument from me. Heck, these
newsgroups are full of such and only prove the very point you make here ...

But, but, but, the NEW DESIGNS in "stagnated equipment"
have ALREADY HAPPENED, beginning between 30 and 20 years
ago. ALL by manufacturers, generally off-shore...by
Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, JRC. Ten-Tec is struggling to stay
in the market (they are a USA company) but isn't achieving
market dominance at all. Note: W1AW uses Harris
transmitters (a pro user market dominant company).

Now here, I disagree with you. That is STILL ancient technology,
thinking and design. See that computer in front of you, when you can no
longer tell the difference between that computer and your rig--WELCOME
TO THE NEW MILLENNIUM!!!

All them handheld VHF and above radios for the US ham
market were pioneered for commercial and military users,
not hams. [this newsgroup doesn't have regulars who
bother with the world above 30 MHz so they are unfamiliar
with it] [maybe Hans Brakob does...but Hans hasn't been
around much in the last year]

Again, no argument here ...

I'll go with that...but it's been a bit late. When one
American in three had a cellphone subscription (two years
ago according to the Bureau of Census) it is UNlikely
that morsemanship on HF to "talk to foreign lands" is
going to be some catchy, with-it motivation. Ordinary
folk can just dial direct on the telephone system at
lesser cost than paying $2K for a "free" ham station.

Again, absolutely. However, if ham radio is in vogue, pocket books will
open and the director calls, "ACTION!"

An ACTOR could begin the publicity. Imagine...a HAM ACTOR!
I can see the ARRL news headlines now...BSEG

Of course, the L.A. area is rather FULL of "ham actors"
who only need AMPAS and SAG "licenses" (actually registry)
to do their "ham" thing. :-)

"There's no business like show business..." :-)

Regards,
LA

Len, Len, Len. Most hams are the slowest dimwits I have ever had the
misfortune to participate with. Now don't get me wrong, mixed up in
their senseless mass are a few sheer geniuses, but the ratio is about
(100 dummies)1 bright) and just to find sane hams one has to cope with
the ratio of (10 insane)1 sane).

But then, you already knew that ...

Warmest regards,
JS