Old January 1st 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Alun L. Palmer Alun L. Palmer is offline

Default So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool?

John Smith I wrote in news:cGYlh.25$WW2.223285
@news.sisna.com:

The big question is why Len is so interested in changing the rules of
amateur radio,
when he's not involved with amateur radio in any other way.

Perhaps it just bothers him that someone is having fun?

Now I'd say that must be a trick question, as certainly, on the surface,
it appears only a moron would ask such a thing!

I'd say Len would do little or nothing to hinder anyone from having
"fun." Now, for instance, say they were hogging up all the radio freqs
for a good 'ole boys club, he'd be a ****ed as hell--and rightly so!

That is all you are seeing. Len don't give a chit about children having
fun ...

JS

I must admit he could be annoyed at a load of Morse code operators
monopolising a chunk of phone spectrum. I always was too, but only because
I wanted to use that spectrum. He apparently doesn't want to use it, which
is a little harder to understand.

BTW, Len, I have an EE degree and used to work in an EMC lab (EMC being
what most people call radio interference, approximately speaking). Some
people hear that and jump to the conclusion that I was in ham radio
enforcement, which makes me laugh, because I never was. I could just add
that I moved into the law, but the same people would probably think that I
was prosecuting interference cases (!) whereas in fact I am a patent agent.

My point is that many hams are (or were) radio professionals, but not all
of us drop references to our professional experience when we are talking in
a group of hams, except where it's actually relevant to the discussion. I
have met a few people who claim they could never be hams because they have
professional experience in radio, but I have never understood that point of
view.

Get a licence and try 'slumming' on the ham bands, Len. You won't be the
only one, you know!

73 de Alun, N3KIP