Old January 1st 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Terry Terry is offline

Default Change in ARS numbers Pool - Guesses added 12/30/06 - edited.

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"John Smith I" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:

Too bad. Several of us do quite a bit of work above 30MHz. The

strange
thing is other than the repeaters, I seldom find any Technicians out
there.

Really, know about spread spectrum? Know anyone to give you some
frequency ring keys? Yanno, there be pirates in those waters bucko!
Perhaps you have noticed a bit more background noise ... ever see any
"strange activity" there, or hear conversations which seem to be spoken

in
code? Hear strangely modulated signals?

Anything that depends on being "in vogue" can just as quickly go "out

of
vogue". I want people who are interested in amateur radio not a
"fashionable activity".

There ya go! Right close to the real problem now, aren't we. Let me

be
blunt--just to make the point hit home ... who gives a damn what Dee
wants? Don't hold yer breath ...

Anyone who takes up a hobby because it is "fashionable" to do so will not
cause an enduring growth in amateur radio. It is not an issue of what I
want. It is called facing reality. Fashions come and go. To insure the
long term health of ham radio, we need a sustainable growth pattern not
erratic blips due to people taking it up because it is in vogue.

That's probably the same ratio as in the rest of the population. Why
should ham radio be any different?

Because in software engineering the ratios are about backwards to those
found in "amateur radio", because in colleges the ratio is about

backwards
to those found in amateur radio ... as a matter of fact, among all
technical minded people that ratio is about backwards to what is found
here--does that provide a clue to what is wrong here? You beginning to
see the matrix?

Really, I've met just as many idiots in the technical fields as outside of
it. The biggest difference is that those with the degree or working on

the
degree seem to feel that means they automatically have a higher IQ. That
just isn't so.

Dee, N8UZE

Well said, Dee. Like you, I've met many men and women whose IQ and learning
abilities often far surpass those of the 2.0 grade average college grad who
had to cheat on finals simply to get a "D" average.