Old January 1st 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default FYI: Origin Of BoatAnchor

K3HVG ) writes:
I believe that Version I and II are correct. Only the timeline may be
subject to query. There was quite a disdain for certain B/A's in the
40's and 50's and they were, indeed, referred to as B/A's. In 1946, QST
said the BC-375 and 191 were useful for parts only and one would suffer
a pink ticket from the FCC seconds after it was put on the air. I also
have one surplus conversion manual that states of the BC-640 (a
heavy-duty VHF transmitter): "This unit will generate TVI even when
turned off...". That was then and now is now.... Yesterdays junk is
today's treasured B/A. And... don't even THINK about adding an S-meter
to that BC-342...! Hi!!
de K3HVG

But 3 is an absolute. I've seen that issue of CQ, well I did read
the letter in CQ though I can't verify the issue, and there was such
a letter.

And 2 could actually be a variant on 3, since it is far vaguer (no
magazine mentioned, no specifics, no names).

In other words, the one about CQ can be verified, while the others
are fairly nebulous.

Michael VE2BVW