Old January 1st 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
aalaan aalaan is offline

Default FYI: Origin Of BoatAnchor

And there was me thinking that it was only the neighbours who were convinced
my gear was generating TVI when in fact it was off!

"K3HVG" wrote in message
I believe that Version I and II are correct. Only the timeline may be
subject to query. There was quite a disdain for certain B/A's in the 40's
and 50's and they were, indeed, referred to as B/A's. In 1946, QST said
the BC-375 and 191 were useful for parts only and one would suffer a pink
ticket from the FCC seconds after it was put on the air. I also have one
surplus conversion manual that states of the BC-640 (a heavy-duty VHF
transmitter): "This unit will generate TVI even when turned off...". That
was then and now is now.... Yesterdays junk is today's treasured B/A.
And... don't even THINK about adding an S-meter to that BC-342...! Hi!!
de K3HVG