Old October 26th 03, 03:36 AM
Bob Miller

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:44:12 GMT, Alan P. Biddle
wrote:

Hi,

Any recommendations on a good, or bad, tuner for use with balanced
antennas? That is, one which does not use a balun? It doesn't need
to be an auto-tuner. There are a few from small suppliers, and I see
the MFJ in their latest catalog has what is touted as a modernized
Johnson Matchbox.

I'm having good luck using an unbalanced tuner, an mfj989c, with an
external choke balun (a few turns of coiled coax), to transition to a
dipole fed with 450 ohm line. I can tune my 44-ft. dipole on all
bands, 30 thru 10.

As far as balanced tuners go, Palstar and Bliss make real expensive
ones, in addition to the mjf model you just mentioned. Don't know of
any others currently being marketed.

Bob
k5qwg