Old January 2nd 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stephan Grossklass Stephan Grossklass is offline

Default What does it mean when you get an "image" on shortwave?

dead of night schrieb:

Perhaps it's safe to say that if I receive anything at all on that band
it's probably an image.

Yup, at least as far as broadcasting stations are concerned. There are
few more than a dozen AM stations on 120m worldwide, none of them with
particularly high power (the Australians with 50 kW are the strongest).

Not knowing too much about shortwave, and just
learning now, I had been treating all SW bands equally.

If you want to get into tropical band listening, 60m is the ideal
starter's band IMO. You will need a fairly selective antenna with good
signal levels to keep the 49m images away (the trusty AN-LP1 works
wonders here, in fact I found that it blows away the random wire strung
for the AR7030+ on 60 and would allow me to use it at my usual listening
location - the bed - so I'll now attempt to either make an adapter to PL
or have one made; far better than having this very fine rx gather dust
any longer), but then it can be great fun. You may need to stay up late
but the result is quite likely to be worth it - here in Germany I
usually tend to miss most of the Africans ceasing operation before
midnight local time, but later on the usual Chinese suspects will be
coming in, then the Indian locals, and finally some Central and South
American stations. (WWCR and WWRB also come in, but are less interesting
from a DX perspective.)

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
After we'd tried a few models, this vacuum cleaner didn't suck -