Old January 2nd 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell John Ferrell is offline

Default Auto tuners & verticals

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 02:07:57 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

I have updated the 28 foot vertical web page for those who may be
interested in my experience. I is at
http://www.dixienc.us/28FtVert/SGC237.htm

I am very pleased with the results using the tuner but it has only
been a few days, I am still in the "honey moon" phase. I outline the
considerations for me and a larger vertical at the web site.
John Ferrell W8CCW

John, re the lighting protection issue with the tuner.

I don't need or want to operate when there is a high risk of lightning,
so I disconnect the tuner. The last picture in this article shows how
the tuner is mounted and the simplicity of an effective isolating
switch. In the event of lightning strike, the inverted L wire will
probably side flash to the support mast where it is much closer. One
could of course build a sturdy arrestor near the tuner if you don't have
such an alternative.

http://www.vk1od.net/InvertedL/InvertedL.htm

Pleased it is all working well for you.

Owen

After reading your web pages I have begun to imitate your set up. I
will be using a 44 foot wire radiator. It will (is) angling down to
one of the ground rods. That will permit the tuner to be installed
inside the house. This set up is physically much simpler for me. The
tower is a crank-up/tilt over arrangement with no guys so the actual
rigging must allow for a lot of movement.

John Ferrell W8CCW