Old January 3rd 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KH6HZ KH6HZ is offline

Default So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool?

wrote:

First, I disagree that 14 year olds generally "lack the knowledgebase"
- particularly current-day 14 year olds. Having seen the curriculum for
the local school district, the amateur radio exams aren't a problem.

Algebra and geometry isn't taught until 9th grade. Trig not until 10th or
11th. Vectors possibly in 11th or 12th.

You must have a lot of 14 year olds graduating from high school.

Second, the mere fact of attaining a particular age does not mean the
person can learn algebra, geometry, etc., or has learned it.

True. It could mean that the child simply memorized or word-associated the
correct answers.

So what's the problem?

Ultimately, I have no real problem with hams under 14. I think it is a good
idea. However, I do think there are valid points from the other side of the
equation. However, I do not see the FCC addressing them in any way, so,
things in their current form are likely to remain the way they are, which is
fine IMO.