Old January 2nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3... ve3... is offline

Default Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism

bpnjensen wrote:
Tester wrote:
Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html

The Energy Challenge
Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart

"""''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''
These compact fluorescent bulbs are not all bad. They use about 25% of
the current required to light an incandescent bulb and give a soft
white light wih no flicker. The main problem seems to be with the
ballasts. With about 20 fluorescent bulbs of various sizes in the house
we have had 5 blow their ballasts. Sometimes the light would just go
out, other times they emitted a particularly noxious smoke that
lingered for days. I have got to the point where I keep the sales slip
as they claim 8000 hours (Sylvania) and some have failed at 100 hrs. I
don't leave any lights on when I leave the house unless they are
incandescent.
Some of them, when new, emit terrific RF noise, while others from
the same pack are absolutely quiet. In spite of this I will continue
using them, but I have to test each one for RF noise before I put it in
place. The ballasts seem to give a warning of failure by stinking and I
have not had any burst into flame.
I don't think I am saving much money because the replacements are
expensive, but I keep hoping the manufacturers will solve their quality
control problems.