Old January 3rd 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge Dave Oldridge is offline

Default 2-meter horizontal omni recommendation

Elden Fenison wrote in

Greetings,

I'm thinking I want to move off of the repeater scene and start getting
involved in 2-meter SSB. Around here, horizontal is the only way to go
with that.

I'd like to put an omni-directional 2-meter horizontally-polarized
antenna on top of the 10ft mast on my roof that is currently hosting my
GP3 (this will replace the GP3). Mainly, I don't want to mess with a
directional beam and a rotor.

Any recommendations as to a store-bought unit that might be well-suited
to this purpose?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

What you need is a turnstile antenna. And you could mount it partway up
the mast and keep the vertical antenna, as far as that goes. I'm not
sure if any manufacturer makes these for 2m, and it's a bit of a chore.
Essentially you put up dipoles at right angles and feed them 90 degrees
out of phase (in phase quadrature). You get horizontal polarization at
the low angles and pretty much omni pattern. Polarization turns circular
overhead, though (not necessarily a drawback for space work).

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667