Old January 3rd 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Brian Howie Brian Howie is offline

Default 2-meter horizontal omni recommendation

In message U9Pmh.8573$tc5.3912@trnddc01, Dale Parfitt
writes

"Brian Howie" wrote in message
In message , Scott
writes
The M^2 (M-Squared) Ho-Loop works nice and is simple, small and should be
rugged enough (I use mine for mobile use at 70 MPH down the highway). I
bought mine at AES.

http://www.aesham.com

The M^2 website claims "Horizontal polarity permits a single HO loop to
pick up 4+dB of ground gain that verticals can't."

Can someone explain this ? I wouldn't have thought polarisation would
make any difference.

I modelled a halo and a j-pole , both at 5m. I got 6.83dBi for the halo
at 6deg, and 6.65dBi for the j-pole at 4.5 deg. Am I missing something ?

73 Brian GM4DIJ
--

Hi Brian,
The explaination has to do with ground reflection gain that a vertical

My modelling shows similar ground gain, but it does assume the
reflection coefficients are the same for both senses of polarisation.
This could be it

Brian
--
Brian Howie