Old March 15th 04, 06:55 PM
Ken Fowler

On 15-Mar-2004, "James Nipper" wrote:

None of these replies have answered my question about the voltage being on
both wires at the same time. I would think it would be impossible for
the motor to turn with voltage on both windings (clockwise and CC) AT THE
SAME TIME.

AC voltage on both wires would be normal for an AC two-phase motor. One wire is fed directly with
AC, the other is fed through a capacitor. The capacitor causes a phase shift which determines the
direction of rotation. Your voltmeter will not detect that the two voltages have a phase
difference. If the capacitor is shorted, the two voltages will be in phase and the motor may not
rotate.

Ken Fowler, KO6NO