Old January 7th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Roger D Johnson Roger D Johnson is offline

Default What is BEST all-tube, general coverage receiver under $1000?Under $2000?

C. J. Clegg wrote:
Looking for the best all-tube general-coverage (0.5-30) receiver I can
get.

Need good operation on SSB and CW and capability on AM, along with
sensitivity, stability, ruggedness, and availability of replacement parts
e.g. tubes (that last one might be difficult...).

I'm thinking Collins 51Jx or R-390, although I remember that I really
liked an old Hammarlund I had once...

Would like to stay under $1000 but if I had to I suppose I could go as
high as $2000 for something that's really mint.

What do you guys recommend I look for?

Virtually all of the high end military vacuum tube boat anchors were
designed before SSB became common. They require an external converter
or the addition of a product detector and AGC mods to work properly.
The only receivers I can think of that meet your requirements are the
Hammarlund HQ-180 and the National NC-400. The 180 is quite common but
the 400 is very rare and pricey.

Regards, Roger

--
Remove tilde (~) to reply